Sep 27, 2010

Encourage Yourself

Have you ever had those days when you have to give yourself a motivational talk? Everything around you may look not so great but you tell yourself;

“It’s going to get better.”

“I can do this!”

“Today is going to be a great day!”

In other words, you had to be your own cheering squad of one and encourage yourself.

If you’ve done this before, congratulations you’re in good company.

And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God. 1 Samuel 30:6 (KJV)
In this particular chapter David and his men returned home to find that their homes had been raided and all their families taken captive. The part that got my attention was the fact that everyone went home to find the same situation yet some got bitter. David’s two wives were taken captive but the men didn’t think about that. They wanted to stone David as if he had caused the calamity.

I’m reminded that in life sometimes situations play out the same way it did in David’s day. We all suffer loss, we all experience hurt but in the midst of it all some people become bitter and ungrateful. However there are some who find strength in the Lord their God. They find comfort in him and hold on to his promises. Like David they encourage themselves in the Lord their God.

I love the way Donald Lawrence puts it in this song.

Sometimes you have to encourage yourself.
Sometimes you have to speak victory during the test.
And no matter how you feel,
speak the word and you will be healed;
speak over yourself,
encourage yourself in the Lord.

How do you encourage yourself? What’s your favorite “self talk” for the days you’re not quite the joyful Christian you’d like to be?

Trusting Him,
 ~Bernadine~

Photo credit:  Photobucket.com

5 comments:

  1. I tell myself that I can do all things through Him, He gives me my strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bernadine...your words made me smile. I think if we all truly believed that we are loved, unconditionally and as we are right now, it would be life-changing. That is how I encourage myself...to remember that I am loved.
    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi friend,

    I love this! I encourage myself in the Lord on the days I'm not feeling my best by reminding myself who HE is and that I BELONG TO JESUS not to the world, people or even myself -- I belong to HIM and then I get the wind back under my feet and keep going in Jesus!

    Love and prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Went my day goes south, I stop and ask the Lord to help me out. It reminds me that He is my strength and my shield.

    Thank you for the reminder that even David got discouraged and found strength in the Lord.

    Love & peace,
    <>< Iris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings -

    I love to be prostrate on the floor in worship and adoration of our Lord to remind myself that He is sovereign and above everything.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by. Do leave a note so I can return the compliment.